Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Baby Frogs Quilt

I have decided to enter my Baby Frogs quilt into the Bloggers Quilt Festival before it gets shown at our local quilt show.


A coworker of my husbands is adopting her first baby daughter this summer. I was planning on making her a quick and easy rag quilt, but she told me she couldn't find a crib set she liked. She told me she loves the frogs on the pink fabric. So I asked her if she would mind if I made her crib quilt for her. Of course she said yes! So that weekend I went shopping. 

This quilt was made from the Quilt In A Day Log Cabin pattern. It was super easy and fast! While I was shopping for fabrics I had the layout planned in my head and had decided I was going to applique a big, jumping, frog down the middle of the white portion and it HAD to be done in minkee fabric. Now the problem was, I had NEVER appliqued before and I didn't have a pattern. I had read enough quilting blogs to know that I just needed a simple picture to create my frog, but I was still clueless how to applique. 

So, I asked the ladies in my quilt guild if they would teach me how to applique a frog to my quilt top. They were all quick to come to my aid until I held up my coloring book picture of my frog. They asked where my pattern was, and I held up my picture and smiled. Some of them told me I HAD to have a pattern and they went back to their quilting. The few that stuck around listened to my other ideas. I told them I wanted it done in minkee fabric. Well those that were left now told me I was crazy and they left too! 

I was pretty discouraged, but also determined to make my frog idea happen! So I researched applique myself and bought my bumpy green minkee fabric from our sewing shop 30 miles away. It took me about a week of trial and error, but by the time I returned to my quilt guild I had my frog finished and sewn on my quilt.
I kind hate to give this away, but I know it will be cherished for years to come by my friend.

10 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your quilt is adorable!! I'm glad you stuck with it and taught yourself how to applique - you did a wonderful job!!

Siobhan said...

Hi, good on you to DIY. Its gorgeous. I hope you went back and showed them the wonderful job you did. :)

Julie Fukuda said...

I'm sure that quilt will be a treasure. I like your can-do spirit and the way you went about the whole process. Shame on those quilters for not being more helpful!

Karen said...

LOVE the frog quilt!!!

CHRIS said...

Terrific job too cute.Happy Stitching. Chris

Cindy said...

Oh my goodness! This quilt is so darn cute!!! Love it!

Lynette said...

Wow - that's kind of weird that none of the guild gals were game for the challenge. Sounds like they need a little rocking of their worlds. ;D

He's FABULOUS~!~ That minky is more perfect than anything else could be for the frog. How did you get his body to puff so perfectly? Did you stuff him at all, or did the minky do that on its own?

Any tips for appliqueing with the minky beyond be patient?

stitchinpenny said...

It seems everyone in your guild learned a little about applique with this quilt. So fun.

Unknown said...

I love you fuzzy froggy

Nikki said...

Lovely quilt and just too cute frog! Congrats on learning something new.