Wednesday, November 2, 2011

OMG I WON!!!

I won! I won! Did I mention that I won?! I'm so exited, like you can't tell. So what did I win do you ask? Well a couple of posts back I mentioned that I haven't been sewing, blogging, or blog reading much at all this month. The reason being, I was taking a business class for the month of October. The very last class we were to present our business plan to a panel of judges that consisted of local businessmen in our community.

So I spent the whole month researching quilt shops and surveying craft people around my community. I gathered all my info, put my business plan together and created a PowerPoint presentation.

Last week I had been told that quilting was a dying art and nobody was interested in it anymore. Well that fueled my fire to get the best presentation created. I had many many statistics showing that not only is quilting thriving, it's growing!

Well long story short. The judges thought my presentation was the best and they all can see how a quilt shop could thrive in our small community. But not only was mine the best, my big incentive was the prize. I won $500 cash! Now there are rules for this money. I can't just go on a shopping spree and I can't pay bills with it or save it. So I have decided to register my business with the state of Oklahoma and get my tax ID number, I am also going to open a business checking account. Once all that is done, I'm going to set up space at our local craft/antique mall and sell some crafted items there along with opening a shop on Etsy.

My big dream is still opening a local quilt shop, but I have a few hurdles to jump over with our personal finances. So I'm going to start small right now and in a year or two I plan on growing my business.

Also, one of my 101 in 1001 items on my list is to start my own business. Well by the end of November I will be able to cross that off my list!!

I still can't believe I won!!!

3 comments:

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Congratulations!! That is fantastic! All the best with growing your business, I can tell just how passionate you are :)

Kasi said...

Awe!! I'm so happy for you!!

Carrie P. said...

Wow! that is awesome! Congratulations!